The amount of pressure exerted on your legs and veins as a result of your extended periods of standing can wreak havoc on the appearance of your legs! Your legs will thank you later for taking proactive steps to prevent painful venous disease such as varicose veins. Taking care of your legs often starts with good footwear. As a nurse, you are on your feet a lot!
The best option for choosing the right shoe is most often done in person. This allows your foot to be evaluated by a professional to determine the right level of support for you. Once you identify a brand and size that works for you, shopping online becomes much easier! The bottom line is, if you are going to be on your feet all day you want a shoe that is going to provide maximum support and comfort.
Here are some key things to consider in finding the perfect shoe:
- Always shoe shop in the morning or in the afternoon. Your feet swell at different degrees over the course of the day and these are optimal times to find a shoe that will fit in conjunction with your swelling.
- Be sure and take socks with you when shopping for shoes. These should be the socks that you will wear to work along with the shoes.
- Always walk around in a pair of shoes before buying. You want a fit that is snug around the heel so it does not slip, supportive in the arch and plenty of room for your toes to move around.
- Consider the fabric of shoes and specifically are they able to be easily cleaned.
- Don’t shy away from the price of a shoe. Obviously be aware of your personal budget and stay within your range but keep in mind the value of comfort and long-term impact of wearing uncomfortable shoes.
- Replace your shoes often. After several months of wear and tear with the amount of walking you do, your shoes will begin to not fit as well. Continuing to wear shoes that no longer have proper support can be damaging to your legs.
If you are reading this, you are already headed in the right direction to taking care of your legs. Find a retailer near you who is willing to invest the time to get to know you and your specific needs in footwear. If you are already experiencing significant leg pain, give Premier Vein clinics a call and schedule a consult today – (865) 588-8229.
[hs_action id=”332, 329″]